Friday, December 17, 2010
Friday, December 10, 2010
SANTA’S ART SUPPLY
MY XMAS LIST
Instead of socks or underwear some art supplies would really be nice. I could even paint a picture for the family room! Here is a list of possible things I could use:
First choice could be an oil painting kit of some kind or you could get individual colors as follows: KITS RUN AROUND $50
OIL PAINT 1.25oz to 6.75oz.(200ml) The bigger the tube the longer it lasts.
WATER SOLUABLE OIL PAINT-
ARTISAN BRAND----WINSOR & NEWTON BRAND
DUO AQUA BRAND---GRUMBACHER –MAX ARTIST BRAND ALL GOOD!
· Cadmium yellow
· Alizarine crimson
· Permanent green light. or sap green
· Lemon yellow
· Cadmium red
· Cerulean blue
· Ultramarine blue
· Titanium white (2) or large 200ml tube
· Yellow ocher
· Burnt sienna
· 4-6 brushes sizes 2,4,6,8,10 (Filbert style my favorite) you should already have these
CANVAS PANELS options: one LARGE canvas (36 in on one side) OR a hollow core door any size or width.
A portfolio case, plastic or zippered- 18x24 or next size up or down
Where to find: MICHAEL’S(Bel Air),A.C. MOORE (White Marsh), PLAZA (york rd.across from Recher theater AND Barns & Noble Towson) THE ART ROOMS(Havre de Grace)
ON LINE :jerrysartarama.com , magicmountain.com , dickblick.com
Monday, November 22, 2010
Sketchbook assignment due Dec1
How would you interpret this word?
1. First color a 2 page spread with dirty paint water, ink, coffee of tea.
2. On one page try out different ideas
· Dishes on table?
· What’s left of the turkey?
· Food on a plate?
AGAIN….How would you interpret this word?
3. On facing page, sketch your idea with A SINGLE LINE (no shading needed)
5 POINTS A PIECE
____ interesting view
---------- interesting idea
____ use of “the formula”(have something lead the eye into your picture)
_____ realism is achieved
_____ line is dark and image is clearly recoginized
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
On your blog use ALL the questions and criteria below. Your self evaluation, reflection, content,and painted image will be the basis of this assignment.
Describe your experience with a palette knife:
· What surprised you?
· What frustrated you?
· How did you overcome any frustration?
· Would you use it again?
Why not? Why? Under what circumstances?
· What did you learn about painting and your “thinking” by using a palette knife?
Have you shown reflected color and shapes?
Choice of composition draws the eye through the painting from front to back. (not side to side) Tell where and how.
All objects ( shoes, cups, fabric,etc) appear to be in same light.
Did you SUMMARIZE, generalize, OR ITEMIZE the visual information. Refer to specific areas of your painting and be specific.
Kudos to another artist- whose work from among your classmates do you think met the criteria best? WHY?
- 5 jpgs that addresss the question " what do I obsess about?" or " show movement and silence in the same picture"
- comment on 5 or more classmates blogs
- ONE MAJOR ART PIECE - either Black on Black or what is your personal choice.
AP students have to turn in their CONCENTRATION idea papers
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
- Create your blog at blogger.com
- Download photos from JPG challenge
- Answer the question, explain your choices for each category
- Show your Joy Series and explain.
- E mail me your link URL address
- CLASSWORK DUE FRIDAY:
ž B&W drawing or thumbnails of waterglass
ž Painting of waterglass.
ž Any revisions must be done by classtime on MONDAY
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Your first jump into paint this semester will be a take on Diebenkorn's painting of a waterglass. What you put in the glass is up to you. It can be 1.simple 2. colorful 3. silly 4. personal 5. symbolic 6. unexpected. You will have no more than three hours to complete this painting. Also due is a value sketch that determines your composition.
due fri Oct 8
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Monday, August 30, 2010
Friday, August 20, 2010
AP and STUDIO ART SUPPLIES
This year you may buy your own paints and brushes or take advantage of the large discount we get on bulk orders and buy your first paints from me. We will be selling paint kits and brush sets for $35. Your check will make it possible to buy more at a later date. Make check payable to John Carroll School. New sketchbooks are $10 so .. with sketchbook $35. without $25 ( you still need your own sketchbook.)
Because of class size and the personal directions you will going into you will need to be responsible for as much as you can financially handle. Some supplies, solvents, and paints will be available
The following are the supplies you will need for the year, they are available on line at Dick Blick.com, jerrysartorama.com, or at Plaza art (Towson) ,The Art Rooms (Havre de Grace), Michael’s (Bel Air), AC Moore (White Marsh) as well as in Baltimore City.
Be sure you have your Student ID handy for a discount.
I recommend WATER SOLUBLE OIL PAINT( ARTISAN brand) for easy clean-up however the large tubes of WINTON oils (not water based) are more for the money.
Buy a set ($50) or singles of the following colors:
• Titanium white (Large tube 200 ml)
• Cadmium red light HUE
• Lemon yellow HUE
• Permanent green light
• Yellow ochre
• Cerulean blue HUE
• Burnt sienna
• ultramarine blue
WHEN YOU BUY THE “HUE” OF A COLOR IT IS CHEAPER!
• 4-6 brushes in a variety of sizes #2, #4, #6,#8, #10."Filberts"and"Rounds" are the styles of brushes I like to use.(You should still have brushes from last year)
• Toolbox or paintbox to put paints in
• 3—5 ebony or sketching pencils
• White eraser
• Oil pastels ( last years)
• Apron or old shirt
• Baby wipes for clean up
• Sketchbook or altered book EVERY DAY
• PORTFOLIO CASE 18X24IN
• 2 TO START PRE STRETCHED CANVASES 16X20
• START LOOKING FOR FLAT CORE DOORS OF ANY SIZE